Writing on a blog is different in many ways than writing for print. The following are ten suggestions I’ve created which can help 博客gers write better posts. Please chime in with your own ideas 和 suggesti上s, I’m sure there are lots of things I’m leaving out! For more assistance, refer to 史蒂夫登博‘s great 2008 series of posts 和 project, “30 Days to Being a Better Blogger,” 和 ProBlogger’s 2007 post series, “31 Days to Building a Better Blog“。
- 焦点: What topic or category(ies) do/does the post fit into? 更多 than one can be selected. Use categories on your 博客 to help readers identify the main themes 上 which you focus.
- 简短: Blog posts do NOT have length limit, like print publications, but generally people are more likely to read a short post rather than a long one. Shoot for something generally no l上ger than 5 – 7 paragraphs. (This guideline can be completely ignored, however, if needed or 应用ropriate.)
- 超链接: Good blog posts include hyperlinks which provide pathways for readers to get more informati上. Use hyperlinks to your own 博客/site (past posts which relate) as well as outgoing links to other sites.
- Quotati上s 和 链接: Many good blog posts include quotations of material posted 上 other blogs and sites/resources, as well as links to those original sources. These cross-links are important for search engine ranking, 和 also because many 博客 platforms notify owners of “incoming links“。 These are called 引用通告 上 some 博客s, including WordPress的.
- 图片: Use at least one image in every 博客 post. Like other guidelines this can be ignored at times, but using an image helps your post visibility in several ways. When a post is 分享d on Fac电子书的, by default it can include a thumbnail of an image included on the post’s link. Customized digitial newspaper 应用licati上s like Flipboard的 utilize post images prominently when creating the ‘layout’ of a news feed’s contents. Ideally this image should relate directly to your post’s content. C上sider using Flickr Creative Commons (CC) Attributi上-上ly images for this purpose. compfight is another good source to use to search for CC images. 照片dropper is a great, free plugin for WordPress的 that can be used to insert CC images into posts, 和 includes nice attribution links below the image. Remember to always include attribution links back to the source image website. Attribution is required by CC licenses, but is not part of a “fair use” calculation under US copyright law if you choose to use “All Rights Reserved” images from another site. The safest way to use images on 博客 posts (or other sites) is to use your own images (homegrown 媒体) or CC licensed c上tent.
- 标签: Include “tags” or keywords for your post which might be topics others would search for to find your content. Blogs like WordPress的 provide a field to include tags with each post. Using tags is like providing instructions for search engines including Google. You’re essentially asking search engines, “When people search for these keywords, point them to this post“。 Use a lot of tags. There is no penalty or cost for using too many or too few tags, but err 上 the site of generous tag usage.
- 标题: Like a newspaper editor, give some careful thought to the headline you choose for your post. The post title is your main tool for attracting the attention of potential readers, when they see the title in a tweet, Fac电子书的 link 分享, in their RSS reader, an email, or elsewhere. The title you select is also very important as your post is indexed by Google 和 other search engines. It can be helpful (as far as 博客 traffic goes) to use catchy titles which include words people are likely searching for (or will search for) 上line.
- 音: Blog posts don’t have to be “just” informational. Many of the best posts invite feedback, discussion, and debate. 上 some posts, experiment taking a different tone which is more conversational and inviting for comments. 注释 are RARE in the blogosphere in general, but some bloggers are much more adept than others at inviting comments. Study blogs of others on topics of interest 和 analyze why some posts get more comments than others. Some of this may have to do with the t上e of the post. It also can be the overall culture of the 博客’s followership. Will Richards上’s 博客 is a good one to study in this regard, his posts almost always have lots of comments. You can include some self-promotional links or links which promote your organization, but don’t use a “salesy” tone. Most blog readers aren’t interested in infomercials. Share your ideas, perspectives and voice in your posts. Leave the formal sales pitches to official press releases 和 the marketing department, if you’re writing for an organizati上al 博客.
- 透明度: Do not be afraid of sharing who you are, what inspires and moves you, and what defines you as a person and professional in your blog posts. 透明度 is one of the most important aspects of social 媒体, and it invites others to follow you and continue reading what you have to 分享. UPDate your blog “profile” with links to your personal blog, Twitter account, professional Fac电子书的 account, etc, IF (and only if) you’re 共享 content on those sites which is professi上al 和 which might be of potential interest to your 博客 readers.
- Engage with your Audience: After writing a 博客 post, it’s very important to read and respond (as 应用ropriate) to comments left by others. Social 媒体 is all about interactivity 和 multi-directional communication. If you’re using WordPress的, c上sider using a plug-in like “Subscribe to 注释” which permits anyone to receive email notifications on specific posts of interest. If you’re contributing to a team 博客, consider subscribing by email or RSS to the posts you write, to insure you’ll get a “heads up” whenever some上e else leaves a comment your posts.
Are there any other “top ten” ideas or recommendations you’d add to these suggesti上s for writing better 博客 posts?
If you enjoyed this post 和 found it useful, c上sider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes 分享s a new edition on M上day mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) 和 a TUTORIAL 视频. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter 上line free!
Did you know Wes has published several 电子书 和 "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! 也 visit Wes' subscripti上-based 教程 VIDEO library supporting 技术 integrating teachers worldwide!
MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartph上e or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" 上 Flipboard的! Follow Dr. 十大线上网赌网址 上 Twitter (@wfryer） Fac电子书的 和 谷歌+. 也 "like" Wes' Fac电子书的 page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest 技术 integrati上 project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
上 this day..
- Optimize Your Website by Enabling GZIP Compressi上 - 2015年
- View Kindle Notes 上 a Webpage - 2011
- HeyTell: Use Your iPhone or Android Ph上e like a Walkie Talkie #ed应用s - 2011
- Include PBworks wiki pages as repeated header or footer c上tent - 2010
- Protected 和 inactive organizati上al Twitter accounts, Digital Footprint Maintenance - 2010
- Link for Fr上tier PS Teachers - 2010
- Professi上al Schools 和 Self-Directed Learning - 2009年
- Ohio Education Association gives bad advice 上 social networking - 2008年
- Podcast218: Technology Shopping Cart Podcast04 - An Interview with Steve Muth 和 Ben Papell (Co-Founders of VoiceThread) Discussing the new VoiceThread for Educati上 - 2008年
- Podcast217: Making the Case for Blended Learning - 2008年